Friday, October 10, 2014

Several years ago, I blogged.  Twice.  The first one included mention of my dear friend Joan’s wise words and the second was a link to finding out which Jane Austen character one might be most like.  That was it.  

And today, I realized that I posted on June 24th and it is October 10th.  No posting in over 3 months.  I am not off to a good start.  

During a professional development meeting several years ago, I was listening to someone talk about SMART goals.  The meeting was after school, I was struggling to pay attention which is never surprising; I was hearing the word SPARKLE in place of SMART goal.  When asked to practice creating SPARKLES, I was at a loss.  Since then I have written countless SMART goals and believe in the value of adhering to those guidelines (specific, measurable, attainable and realistic). I am not sure if I have ever applied  them to myself and I almost always feel like they should be written in glitter!  I  buzz through my days...making lists and checking things off...in a mostly happy way.  I’m lucky to love the things I get to do:  I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mom, a friend, a cousin, an aunt, a former interventionist  and an elementary school principal.  I love children and  I love learning.  I love words:  reading and writing.  

I want to blog.  I need a smart goal.  I am committing to posting a blog once a month for the rest of this year.  The goal is that I will write and post at least 3 times before 2015. When I meet that goal (totally optimistic), I will create a sparkling new one for the new year.

I did write one haiku in August.  It is my commitment for this school year:

Do, grow, be.  Learn well.
Choose joy.  Act with love.
Children first each day.

I have been able to honor my commitment:  I can choose joy even after a long week that included 2 conference nights that included delicious dinner provided by an awesome PTA!  

No comments:

Post a Comment